ART HISTORY FOR FILMMAKERS 256 pp. Published by Bloomsbury Press 2016.
- Art History for Filmmakers is a guide to how images from art can be used by filmmakers to establish period detail, and to teach composition, color theory and lighting. The book looks at the key moments in the development of the Western painting, and how these became part of the Western visual culture from which cinema emerges, before exploring how paintings can be representative of different genres, such as horror, sex, violence, realism and fantasy, and how the images in these paintings connect with cinema.
The book is a practical guide meant to be used by artists and filmmakers, and is drawn as much from practical experience as a film maker and curaror, as from theoretical and archival research.
TWIXT 118 pp. Published by Nant Studio, 2012. ISBN 978-0-9563567-4-1
- Collected writings and black and white photography.
- Web Publication about site-specific art, including history, theory and showcase of projects
ARTICLES: Much of my published work is collected here
SELECTED COMMISSIONED WRITING:
- Review: Frieze London – a good education in how the art market works A-N 17 Oct 2013
- Nam June Paik: Retrospective” A-N Feb 2011
- “I Am Here ” Critical Cities vol. 2 ed. Deepa Naik & Trenton Oldfield, Myrdle Court Press, 2010
- “Stefanos Pavlakis: Artist of the Month” Axis Sept 2010
- “Over site? Site Specific Art Today” Arts Professional Jan. 2010
- “Overflow: Ima Pico and the digital mural” Catalogue essay for Overflow, an exhibition by Ima Pico, Milton Keynes Contemporary 2009 [read]
- Schematic catalogue essay 2008
- “Interconnection” in Triangular Wheel vol.4. 2006. Editor Mikhail Pogarsky
- “Interconnection: Life and Art in a Forgotten Russian Town” published Crosswalk vol1 issue 2 2005
- “Intervention & Imagination in the Fragmented City: Luna Nera in Belfast” 2005 [read]
- “Art as Collective Cultural Action: art groups and collaborative practices” published Contexts, autumn 2003
- “Lab Rats for Art” article in Year 01 Forum winter 2002
- “Artist Initiatives in Moscow” article in Variant 15, Summer 2002
- “Framing the 20th Century” article in Year 01 Forum spring 2002
- “Media and the Spectacular Society” Hypermedia Research Centre 1998
Papers / Presentations:
- “Collectivisation of art in the new crisis economy” TINAG 2010.
- “Podcasting, Art and the digital economy” Digital Media 1.0, La Nau, University of Valencia 2008
- “The 30-second Dilemma: the fall and rise of video art” University of Valencia 2006 [read]
- “Permanent Experiment: site-responsive art practice in context” British Art Show 06 Sideshow Symposium, Nottingham 2006
- “Artistic Experimentation & Urban Change” Accademia dell Arte Roma 2005
- “Collaboration as practice: Luna Nera, collective action and experimentation” Collision University of Victoria Canada 2005
- “Playing in/on the urban desert” Champ Libre Montrèal, 2004.
- “Luna Nera: Art as Site response” Hull Time Based Arts, Critical Platform. 2004.
- “Art/Site/Context – site specificity and localities” Ruskin College, University of Oxford, 2003.
- “Time-based art, Bio-architectures and Urban space” ISEA 1998.
- Democratic Interventions into the Urbanisation of Nature by Dr. Alex Loftus, Royal Holloway University of London